Sunday, July 12, 2015

Convo's with my Mom


One of my favorite past times is hanging out with my mom on the porch. Most of the time we like to go out in the morning and enjoy the breeze with our coffee, tea, or breakfast. We enjoy the comfortable silence of each other’s company as we sit back and ponder about life. My mom usually brings up the latest fusses at her work. I try to stop her as soon as she begins, because who wants to talk about work when one is relaxing? She agrees that it is not a favored topic, so we move on with the conversation. Usually when I am with my mom, I enjoy listening to her childhood stories. (You know, I feel like not too many kids ask about their parents or grandparents childhood. I wish I could listen to more tales of others in past generations). During my mom’s childhood, she lived in Mexico, things were very different then than they are now. Since her family was underprivileged, she didn’t have electricity for many, many years. They also used to have to walk a couple miles to get water to drink, cook, or wash their clothing. They would even have to walk several miles just to attend school, which sounded extra brutal because of the scorching heat. My grandpa would have a little farm and when it was time to prepare a live pig for dinner, my mom can remember her and my aunts would be as far away as they could so they didn’t have to hear the pigs squealing for their lives. Life during her adolescent years sounded so radical. It was the times when you truly had to work hard towards everyday life endeavors. I admire the hard work of past generation. It inspires me to work the extra mile because in this day and age we have it more easy than life used to be.        

No comments:

Post a Comment