Sunday, June 14, 2015

My Typology and Writing


Reflection of Jung Typology Test

Since high school, there has been a personality test to indicate who we are as person, writer, student and worker. In college I took this test once more as part of an assignment for my English class. The test is called the Jung Typology Indicator (here is a URL with more information: http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/). As I concluded my test, my indication came out as “INFJ” meaning, Introverted, iNtuitive, Feeling, Judging. When I read the description it did detail some attributes of mine. Starting out by stating that my character is complex with a strong humanitarian outlook and that INFJ’s are generally “doers” as well as dreamers. I am fond of this combination of vision and practicality. I usually do find the Jung Typology Indicator helpful. Not because it is supposed to tell me my personality and after 70 question instruct me of who I am, since life is more complex than a mere test. However, I find it helpful because it points out your weaknesses too, not bluntly but by merely suggesting you are these four letters in this combination. Well, what about the other letters or sixteen other combinations. I mean I want to be a well-rounded person, so I like to see what I should work on in order to achieve more abilities. And let me tell you, that J at the end of “INFJ” used to be a “P” meaning perceiving. Now I consider myself both especially when I read the details. It just kind of goes to show you that obviously change happens overtime. That being said continue to evolve and adapt as change should be embraced. While also balancing the authenticity of yourself with practicality.  

Me as a Writer

Every now and then, I come across my essays, notes for school or even some exchanged with friends, as well as research papers that I have written over the years. I find it valuable when I stumble over old things I have written and giggle a bit at my writing technique thinking how much I have advanced since then. I notice how my personality has changed and that I gained to be a bit wiser as a writer and as a student.
Why keep these bundles of paper? These compositions should be thrown away after use, or better yet recycled. Free up the space… but nay I say! I just think it is neat to go back and read your writing. People may not believe so, as I also disbelieved, but writing is important. Mere words written on paper can be as powerful enough as to persuade someone to change their train of thinking. Motivate, influence, create new ideas, maybe even haunt or scare. That is why I think looking back at your writing, learning from your mistakes, and changing them for the better next time allows for better self-expression and fluency. A powerful tool, writing is, and it must be exercised. Think about it next time you want to express yourself a certain way, but are at a loss for words. Think about it when you need to sway and encourage the audience your way.

Writing is important, invest into its charm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment